(Ukiah, CA) – Now, more than ever, local families are struggling to make ends meet. Starting in February 2023, local residents can receive valuable help at tax time, from North Coast Opportunities (NCO).
NCO is providing free tax filing assistance through the Earn It! Keep It! Save It! program in Lake and Mendocino counties.
At local tax sites, IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers work with low to moderate-income families and individuals to help file their tax returns and ensure that they receive the tax credits for which they qualify. In addition, some sites can direct their customers to no-fee bank accounts, credit repair services or financial education classes. The mission is to provide free tax preparation service as a tool to help local residents become financially stable.
“Many workers pay tax preparers high fees and face excessive interest on refund anticipation loans. Our tax assistance sites help families and individuals maximize their tax credits and use them to make ends meet or to save for the future,” said Yvett Reeve, VITA Program Coordinator.
Household income must be $70,000 or less to qualify. For those that qualify, they can call 707-467-3236 for information (English and Spanish) about tax preparation site locations in Clearlake, Ukiah, Lakeport and Fort Bragg.
Now, more than ever, our families deserve to keep their money, especially during tax season. Earn It! Keep It! Save It! provides free, quality tax return preparation to low-to-moderate income individuals, families, and seniors. This program is supported by United Way of the Wine Country. Visit www.unitedwaywinecountry.org to learn more.
Be sure to have all your documents ready when you visit one of our tax preparation sites. Start by downloading and completing the intake form:
Households' income must be $70,000.00 or less to qualify.
This year we are accepting walk-ins only at NCO's designated locations in Clearlake, Ukiah, Lakeport and Fort Bragg.
This year we are accepting walk-ins only at the following times and locations:
Ukiah | 413 N State Street
Hours | Fridays and Saturdays, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm. (Note: Feb. 17th holiday)
Lakeport | 850 Lakeport Blvd.
Hours | Tuesdays and Thursdays 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm.
Clearlake | 3245 Bowers Ave
Highlands Senior Center
Hours | Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Fort Bragg |111A Boatyard Drive
Hours | Every other Wednesday 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm (2/8, 2/22, 3/8, 3/22, 4/5...)
If you prefer to prepare and file your own taxes:
1. Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
2. Original Social Security Card or ITIN for each person on tax return (copies accepted). Contact your local Social Security office to order a copy if you cannot find yours prior to your tax appointment.
3. W-2 or 1099-NEC (replacing 1099-MISC) for ALL jobs held in 2022.
4. All 1098’s, 1099’s, 1095-A (if bought healthcare through Covered California marketplace), B or C and any other tax forms you expect to need.
5. Voided check or savings account and routing # for directed deposit refund
6. Last year’s tax return
7. Childcare provider information with name, address, Tax ID number (EIN) or SS# if individual etc.
8. Optional: You can also prepare by printing and completing this form!