Caring Kitchen Project
NCOs Caring Kitchen (update September 21, 2020)
NCOs Caring Kitchen Project was JUST announced as the most recent winner of the 100 Women Strong fundraiser! We are both thrilled and humbled to have been selected!
Covid-19 is a serious public health crisis, we have adjusted our program to continue to serve those most in need, but our costs have increased and we are unable to have our regular fundrasing events. This contribution allows The Caring Kitchen to continue to serve meals to cancer patients and those that are medically fragile in inland Mendocino County.
Watch our winning submission video here and if you would like to contribute and help us to continue to serve our clients, please use the donation button to the right of this page.
April Cunningham, Project Manager and Head Chef
Tel: (707) 467-3212
- Adult volunteers and staff are preparing meals in the kitchen for ALL clients battling cancer or dealing with a serious illness.
- We continue to deliver meals to the Ukiah, Willits and Redwood Valley areas.
- Volunteer Delivery Angels continue to deliver food to homes of clients each Thursday.
- Teens are being provided with alternative activities (not in the kitchen) at this time. For example, teens are harvesting produce and herbs in the garden and creating greeting cards for clients.
- Caring Kitchen staff are working remotely or in the kitchen, please call April at (707) 467- 3212 or email email@example.com
At NCO’s Caring Kitchen Project we continue to follow the highest standards of sanitation and our clients’ health continues to be our utmost concern. Please know that...
- We are providing uninterrupted meal delivery service to our clients who depend on this access to nutritious meals.
- As always, we require volunteers and staff to stay home if they or someone they live with show any signs of illness, or have traveled in the past 2 weeks.
- All of our current volunteers and staff are fully trained in safe food handling practices.
Now more than ever, NCO’s Caring Kitchen is a vital service. We are committed to providing access to organic, nourishing meals for our clients. Together we will take care of each other and build a healthier, stronger community!
During this outbreak, our clients need us more than ever. Help us care for them and respond to the many new calls for service we are receiving from medical providers. The people we serve are mostly over 65 and all have serious health conditions. They are…
At high risk for Covid-19,
Mostly living alone and lack support,
Lacking the financial resources to purchase meals,
And one-third say they need additional meals or groceries delivered.
Our nourishing meals allow clients to manage their health conditions and stay healthy at home, away from exposure to COVID-19 and out of impacted hospitals. In short, we need to expand our services. Can you help us extend our reach?
Your simple gesture will help us spread love, generosity and gratitude during this crisis. $40 provides 4 nourishing, organic meals. $80 pays for additional groceries or meals to cover a client’s full nutritional needs for a week. Please give whatever you can right now so we can be there for our community – every donation, little or big, counts. Donate Today by clicking the button on the upper right hand side of this page, or by mailing a check to the Caring Kitchen at 413 N. State Street, Ukiah, CA 95482.
NEWS AND EVENTS:
- We are truly a community organization - "Giving" is not just about making a donation... It is about making a difference. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to see what we're sharing!
- The Grow a Row Campaign is ongoing. Join in the campaign by donating organic produce, herbs, berries, and tree fruits for the Caring Kitchen's meals. Food donations are accepted on Mondays between 8:30am-4:30pm in Ukiah at 413 N. State Street... please call first to make sure that your organic produce donation is something that will be useful for our client meals. Contact April Cunningham (707) 467-3212 or firstname.lastname@example.org to check in, or to make arrangements to drop off produce at the Ukiah kitchen.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES OF THE CARING KITCHEN PROJECT
- Support the health and recovery of individuals undergoing cancer treatment and their families by providing organic, vegetable-rich meals designed for healing.
- Utilizing a local commercial kitchen to prepare the meals, and deliver weekly meals with the help of volunteers.
- Train teen volunteers in nutrition, cooking, and job skills (*due to covid-19 concerns, no teens are currently being trained).
- Develop a sense of empathy in the community’s youth
- Foster meaningful connections and a sense of community for all partners and participants
- Source from local, organic food producers
- Promote “Food as Medicine” in the broader community
Chronic diseases account for the four leading causes of death in Mendocino County, with cancer (including lung cancer) and heart disease causing over 50% of all deaths, followed by stroke and chronic lower respiratory diseases. Prevention is key, and experiencing healthier living through quality, vegetable-rich meals is just what the Caring Kitchen Project is all about.
OUR FOUNDING PARTNERS:
- North Coast Opportunities
- Cancer Resource Centers of Mendocino County
- Mendocino County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA)
- Adventist Health Ukiah Valley
- Community volunteers