Caring Kitchen Project
April Cunningham, Project Manager and Head Chef
Tel: (707) 467-3212
Our Cookbook is Here!
Nourishing Community: Healing Recipes Made with Love tells the story of eight nonprofits, including NCO Caring Kitchen, working to transform their communities, one meal at a time. The members of the Ceres Affiliate Partner network train teen volunteers to prepare nourishing meals designed to meet the health needs of community members who are in treatment for serious illnesses like cancer. From Mendocino County and all across the US (and even in Denmark), comes a collection of more than 100 delicious, healthy recipes representing what our volunteers make and deliver to our clients each week. The recipes range from soups and salads to desserts and entrees, including vegetarian, poultry, seafood and beef selections. Whether you’re cooking for yourself, your family, or a friend who is ill, you’re sure to find inspiration and favorite new recipes in this new cookbook. Nourishing Community is filled with colorful photos, nutrition information, and helpful tips. The book makes a wonderful gift, with every purchase helping to financially support our work.
Order yours today or gift one to someone you love. Our order form includes other signature Caring Kitchen gift items such as our Italian spice blend and apple crisp in a jar!
- Adult volunteers and staff are preparing meals in the kitchen for ALL clients battling cancer or dealing with a serious illness.
- We continue to deliver meals to the Ukiah, Willits, and Redwood Valley areas.
- Volunteer Delivery Angels continue to deliver food to homes of clients each Thursday.
At NCO’s Caring Kitchen Project we continue to follow the highest standards of sanitation and our clients’ health continues to be our utmost concern. Please know that...
- We are providing uninterrupted meal delivery service to our clients who depend on this access to nutritious meals.
- As always, we require volunteers and staff to stay home if they or someone they live with show any signs of illness, or have traveled in the past 2 weeks.
- All of our current volunteers and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, practice COVID safety protocols, and are trained in safe food handling practices.
Now more than ever, NCO’s Caring Kitchen is a vital service. We are committed to providing access to organic, nourishing meals for our clients. Together we will take care of each other and build a healthier, stronger community!
During this outbreak, our clients need us more than ever. Help us care for them and respond to the many new calls for service we are receiving from medical providers. The people we serve are mostly over 65 and all have serious health conditions. They are…
At high risk for Covid-19
Mostly living alone and lack support
Lacking the financial resources to purchase meals
And one-third say they need additional meals or groceries delivered.
Our nourishing meals allow clients to manage their health conditions and stay healthy at home, away from exposure to COVID-19 and out of impacted hospitals. In short, we need to expand our services. Can you help us extend our reach?
Your simple gesture will help us spread love, generosity and gratitude during this crisis. $40 provides 4 nourishing, organic meals. $80 pays for additional groceries or meals to cover a client’s full nutritional needs for a week. Please give whatever you can right now so we can be there for our community – every donation, little or big, counts. Donate Today by clicking the button on the upper right hand side of this page, or by mailing a check to:
The Caring Kitchen
413 N. State Street
Ukiah, CA 95482.
NEWS AND EVENTS:
- Our 2021 Holiday Gift Fundraiser is live! Purchase a unique Caring Kitchen gift for a loved one--your yourself-- this season and support our program at the same time!
- We are truly a community organization - "Giving" is not just about making a donation... it's about showing your support in any way you can. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram or sign up for our newsletter to see what we're sharing!
- The Grow a Row Campaign is ongoing. Join in the campaign by donating organic produce, herbs, berries, and tree fruits for the Caring Kitchen's meals.
- Food donations are accepted on Mondays between 8:30am-4:30pm in Ukiah at 413 N. State Street... please call first to make sure that your organic produce donation is something that will be useful for our client meals. Contact April Cunningham (707) 467-3212 or firstname.lastname@example.org to check in, or to make arrangements to drop off produce at the Ukiah kitchen.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES OF THE CARING KITCHEN PROJECT
- Support the health and recovery of individuals undergoing cancer treatment and their families by providing organic, vegetable-rich meals designed for healing.
- Utilizing a local commercial kitchen to prepare the meals, and deliver weekly meals with the help of volunteers.
- Train teen volunteers in nutrition, cooking, and job skills (*due to covid-19 concerns, no teens are currently being trained).
- Develop a sense of empathy in the community’s youth
- Foster meaningful connections and a sense of community for all partners and participants
- Source from local, organic food producers
- Promote “Food as Medicine” in the broader community
Chronic diseases account for the four leading causes of death in Mendocino County, with cancer (including lung cancer) and heart disease causing over 50% of all deaths, followed by stroke and chronic lower respiratory diseases. Prevention is key, and experiencing healthier living through quality, vegetable-rich meals is just what the Caring Kitchen Project is all about.
OUR FOUNDING PARTNERS:
- North Coast Opportunities
- Cancer Resource Centers of Mendocino County
- Mendocino County Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA)
- Adventist Health Ukiah Valley
- Community volunteers